Fall 2014 Important Notes
- Be sure to carefully read all of the information below BEFORE you make a reservation for orientation.
- Students, please make sure to share this information with your parents as well, whether or not they will be attending orientation.
- Construction on the CU campus is requiring us to modify our orientation patterns. Please do not rely on older friends or relatives for descriptions about when you need to arrive, and what you need to do. Most things will be different from previous years.
Orientation, Advising and Registration Program for First-year students
You are a first-year student or freshman, if you will be a senior in high school in the 2013/2014 school year, or you have never taken a college class after graduating from high school.
- Orientation begins promptly at 12:00 noon on Monday, August 18. Students are encouraged to move in to their residence hall Monday morning beginning at 9:00 a.m. The orientation program concludes on Wednesday, August 20 at 11:30 a.m.
- Orientation Check-in is from 10:00 - 11:45 a.m. on the outside lawn south of Macky Auditorium.
Advising and Registration Program for Transfer students
You are a transfer student if you have enrolled at another college, university, or another campus of the University of Colorado (including Continuing Education and Professional Studies) since earning your high school diploma or equivalent.
About Course Registration:
- Course registration materials will be sent via e-mail at the beginning of June, and students will have access to register for fall 2014 classes on DATES To Be Determined at mycuinfo.colorado.edu. Students who are not able to register during these dates will register during the make-up dates on DATES To Be Determined.
- Students will not come to campus for registration, but rather go online and log in to the student portal to register. Advisors will be available to assist you by telephone that day should you encounter any difficulties. [There will be an opportunity for registering in August if not done before, but class selection will be more limited at that time.]
- If for some reason you do not receive your email with registration information, instructions will be available online at the Registrar's Office.
- Additional information about course registration can be found at the Office of the Registrar website.
Residence Hall Move-In
Housing and Dining Services offers early move-in on Monday, for an additional fee of around $70 (the fee is a daily rate calculated based on the Housing Contract—will vary depending on the type of room). This fee is covered for Marching band participants. We strongly encourage students attending the August orientation to move in on Monday, August 18 so you will have time to settle in to your residence hall room. For those students taking advantage of this option, the first meal provided in the dining halls will be dinner on Monday, August 18. You must participate in all orientation activities including evening presentations. You will not be able to leave orientation to take care of move-in related business because all orientation programs are required.
Double Degree Students
If you are pursuing degrees in the College of Music and another college on campus, you are expected to attend orientations for both colleges. Come to the "walk in" table at Orientation check-in to receive a modified orientation schedule.
All music majors must participate in an ensemble each semester they are taking lessons. Ensemble auditions will take place the week before classes begin and during the first week of classes. Registration for ensembles will take place during the Drop/Add period in August.
For information on instrumental ensembles, please contact:
Imig Music Building, Room E-172
For information on jazz ensembles, please contact:
Professor John Davis
Macky Auditorium, Room 116
For information on choral ensembles, please contact:
Professor Gregory Gentry
Macky Auditorium, Room 109