Fall 2014 Important Notes
- Be sure to carefully read all of the information below BEFORE you make a reservation for orientation.
- Students, please make sure to share this information with your parents as well, whether or not they will be attending orientation.
- Construction on the CU campus is requiring us to modify our orientation patterns. Please do not rely on older friends or relatives for descriptions about when you need to arrive, and what you need to do. Most things will be different from previous years.
Orientation, Advising and Registration Program for First-year students
You are a first-year student or freshman, if you will be a senior in high school in the 2013/2014 school year, or you have never taken a college class after graduating from high school.
- Orientation program dates are June 12-13, June 16-17, June 19-20, June 23-24, June 30-July 1, July 7-8, July 10-11, July 14-15, July 17-18, July 21-22 and July 24-25.
- All first-year students are required to stay overnight in the residence halls whether or not you will be living on campus in the fall. Costs for this are included in the academic year room & board bill. There is a separate fee charged to cover these costs for students who elect not to live in campus housing during the academic year.
- Orientation begins with residence hall check-in at 6:30 a.m. on day one and may run through 5:00 p.m. on day two. Make your travel arrangements accordingly.
- Out-of-state students who are unable to attend any of the orientation dates above may attend the August 18-21 make-up session (see below).
August Make-Up Session for Out-of-State Students
- Students who are unable to attend any of the June/July orientation dates may attend a make-up session from August 18-21. However, we are able to provide more individual support in June and July because of the smaller number of attendees, and students (and families) describe feeling less overwhelmed with the transition to college when they attend orientation prior to the August move-in.
- If you elect to attend the August Make-up session you will likely incur additional costs.
- Be prepared for other time consuming obligations during this time such as moving into your residence hall and participating in new student activities.
- Housing and Dining Services offers early move-in on Monday, for an additional fee of up to $70 (the fee is a daily rate calculated based on the Housing Contract—will vary depending on the type of room). We strongly encourage students attending the August orientation to move in on Monday, August 18 so you will have time to settle in to your residence hall room. For those students taking advantage of this option, the first meal provided in the dining halls will be lunch on Monday, August 18. You must participate in all orientation activities including evening presentations. You will not be able to leave orientation to take care of move-in related business because all orientation programs are required.
- Attendance at the August Make-Up orientation will not disadvantage you with regard to course selection. By using pre-registration in required major courses, and reserving spaces in courses for each orientation group, students are able to get a schedule that makes progress toward their degree and general education requirements.
Advising and Registration Program for Transfer students
You are a transfer student if you have enrolled at another college, university, or another campus of the University of Colorado (including Continuing Education and Professional Studies) since earning your high school diploma or equivalent.
Course Registration Information
- Arts & Sciences students entering in the fall semester will register for fall classes at orientation after meeting with an academic advisor.
- Arts & Sciences students entering in the summer term will register for summer classes on their own. Summer registration information is found here. Fall class registration occurs at orientation.
- Additional information about course registration can be found at the Office of the Registrar website.